Friday, January 1, 2010

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

I hope you all had a wonderful season! I have been meaning to post some holiday photos for quite some time. I had fun a few weekends ago. I did my traditional baking. It was snowing outside and I had the oven on all day. This year I made Cherry Shortbread Cookies, Dark Chocolate Ginger Crinkles, Russian Teacakes, and lots of Pumpkin Cranberry Bread. I took a hint from my friend Kyle and re-purposed some of the large cookie tubs I get from Trader Joe's. The only problem is that they had labels on the side that are impossible to remove. I covered them with wrapping paper. This is the finished product.
I decorated my tree, too. I think it looks great. The only thing missing is garland of some sort. I saw a fun one yesterday - it was fake popcorn and cranberry strings. I only wish it had been slightly more realistic. Might get something next year. Here's the shot with the flash:
I also had lots of fun going through all of my ornaments. Here are a few that I selected to put at the top of the tree. Some of you might know the symbolism to these. I have several that are like the kangaroo - a gold fish, a small blue dove and a white cat (with blue and purple sequins). I asked my mom about these because I know they are some of the oldest ones, but didn't remember where they came from. My mom remembers them being from a store that my grandma shopped at near the town where my mom grew up. It sounded a bit like the ornaments were tied to wrapped packages - a different one each year. The unicorn and bell are both more symbolic. I really enjoyed having all of the ornaments this year!

2 comments:

Kyle said...

WOW! each person got a LOT of cookies!

Your tree is cute.

Anonymous said...

Actually, those sequined ornaments were from a sale that Central Presbyterian Church ran every year to profit people in developing countries. SAGE may be the name of the organization who ran the sale, but it's been years now.