Sunday, October 7, 2012

Restart

How do you restart your blog?  The same way you restart your morning.  With a delicious muffin.  D&I found this recipe nearly a year ago and I have made it so many times I can't count.  It appeared in the Nov 2011 issue of Runners World and is originally Mark Bittman.  I have now modified the recipe to be lower in fat and sugar and include more superfoods!  What could be better in the morning?

Blueberry Sweet Potato Muffins
2 1/2 c whole wheat flour (pastry is recommended in the original recipe but I've been making them with regular and they seem to be fine)
1/2 c sugar
2 t baking powder
1 t ground ginger (sometimes I add a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg, too)
1/4 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
2 T butter (melted and cooled)
2 T veg or olive oil
1/4 c applesauce
1 c pureed/mashed sweet potato (you can easily use canned pumpkin in this recipe or cook the sweet potato in the microwave)
1 beaten egg
1/2 c buttermilk (we use the powder stuff that you keep in the refrigerator and add to water otherwise we don't use the whole container in time and it seems like a waste).
1 c frozen blueberries

Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Grease 12 muffin cups.  Combine dry ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl (or measuring cup) combine the wet ingredients (through buttermilk).  Now add the wet mixture into the dry and stir until just combined.  Fold in the blueberries.  Bake for 20-25 minutes and enjoy.

One of the amazing things about these muffins is how moist they are for a 100% whole wheat bread.  I have never successfully done 100% whole wheat tea bread or muffins before.  This recipe gives me faith that it is possible.  They are definitely hearty.  Also, you could add nuts but A doesn't like walnuts or blueberries, for that matter, in her baked goods.  I always make a couple of muffins with her name on them by adding the batter to a few muffin cups before folding in the blueberries.

Now, in answer the the question I left you with last year.  The pancake was meant to be a monkey.  I guess I need to work on my pancake art.  :)

What is coming up... my adventures in canning, microwave potato chips and low fat dip, some fall favorites, and book recommendations.  Hopefully, I'll stick to a once a week schedule.

1 comment:

Kyle said...

M!! You're back!! I got your postcard--thanks for it!!