Thursday, October 1, 2009

Extensions...

I have two comments about extensions. First off, I do not grant them unless it's an emergency. If my students can't get things in on time, I don't think they will be able to meet deadlines in the real world. There should be some sort of penalty. But I do understand that they have a lot of demands on their time. These could be things that I also think are important or things that I don't think they should be spending time on in a million years. So I just make it a policy that I don't care why a paper is late, I just give it the late penalty.

The other extension connection is something I recently observed. It's the cell phone is an extension of the hand/ear of the current student. I have a classroom near my office and I happened to be walking back to my office as a class was letting out recently. At least 90% of the students pulled their cell phones out immediately after walking out of the classroom. They were texting, getting messages and making calls. It makes it really hard to navigate a hallway when it is full of students who are not paying attention to walking or where they are going. And it is very annoying.

2 comments:

Papa John said...

You're right to impose a standard penalty for work which is turned in late. Make sure and share the policy up front so there's no surprise or question. Setting clear expectations will help them allow them to make a choice of how they set their priorities. They can turn it in late, but they are making a choice which has consequences.

Anonymous said...

From the authers of super freakenomics and "unintended consequences as heard on NPR last weekend. If you drink do not walk home as you are 8 times more likely to be killed walking drunk than you are driving drunk.
Dad