Saturday, July 31, 2010

Bounty!

Summer is my favorite time of year for eating! I love the fresh berries (blueberries and blackberries for lunch this week, yum!). Tomatoes, peaches, corn, fresh herbs, what could be better? When I was down in Delaware a few weeks ago, I got to share some bounty with my dear friend. We invented our dinner that evening. After having happy hour complete with delicious cheese and crackers Yea for mango and ginger stilton! (This cheese has been know to bring to people with completely different tastes in cheese to agreement!) We wanted something a little less grand than the original plan. So, we made an amazing salad.
What a lovely place setting, too. The salad you see consists of:
kernels from two ears of corn
1 chopped organic tomato
1 chopped peach
a small bunch of chopped basil
(I'd recommend adding rosemary or mint, but I was too lazy to continue chopping)
lemon juice
olive oil
pan cooked scallops in lemon and lime juice (I don't think they were added yet when the photo was taken.)
and a touch of salt and pepper all served on a bed of greens
I wouldn't have guessed the corn didn't need to be cooked, but since it was such fresh bounty, it was fine.
Delicious!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spectacular, I'm sure it tasted even better than it looked. I hope you enjoyed the wonderful warm, but not too hot day today.

Anonymous said...

I'm in total agreement on the "summer bounty" front...says the girl who canned 8 jars of peaches on Saturday night, made peach cobbler and peach sorbet, and still had half a crate left to freeze on Sunday... Sheesh, that's a lot of peaches! Makes me think of the peaches song..."Millions of peaches, peaches for me...millions of peaches, peaches for free"

Your dinner salad looks spectacular...and knowing you, I'm sure it tasted every bit as good as it looked! Happy summer bounty!

~Love from the sisterly one