Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Another Election Year Memory

I wanted to go to the gym tonight before I go to have dinner at a friend's house and watch the election results, but I'm too late leaving work, so I'll go tomorrow morning instead. To take up that time, I have another story for you all. I don't think many people have heard this story, so here goes. In 2000, I was living in a house with two guys and one gal. I would say they are (or rather were, in one case) my friends. The gal and I used to go swing dancing at a local place. This was in the time when people would judge your "swing coolness" by asking if you began dancing before or after the Gap ads. Only cool if before the ads. I don't think I was particularly cool by that metric. I had fun doing it and it was great because the guys would really ask the women to dance. I found this refreshing. I met two guys one night - and corresponded with both for at least a short time. (Don't worry, we will get around to the election connection.) So one of these guys had the initials WAF. I can still remember exactly what it stood for because the game when we parted ways the first night we met, was that I would try to guess his middle name - purely from his initial A - in 50 guesses or less. If I didn't guess it, I would have to cook him dinner at my place - and if I did guess it he would take me out to dinner. Now you've heard the background that I had many roomates, and knew that I could get at least one of the guys to stick around some evening if I was cooking dinner for this guy (especially if I shared what I cooked). The only sketchy thing about WAF was that he rode a motorcycle, but that sort of intrigued me. You'd think this would be easy, but there are a large number of A names (or things that could possibly be names, like, oh say, Apple). So off I go guessing. I had long lists of possible names and I would guess by email every few days and he would reply, no, no, no, no, no. Turns out I got to 50 and was told, nope, I hadn't gotten it. But he wouldn't tell me what it was until dinner. So I prepared a special feast on election night 2000. We had some sort of chicken parm and apple pie. Sort of the all-American flavor in honor of the election. It was a pretty good meal. And at the end of the night (I kicked him out long before the election was decided - in fact, it wasn't really decided for some time after that night, if I recall correctly) he told me that he had lied. I did guess his middle name in my last batch. It was either the last or second to last name I guessed. It was Aloysius. In any case, I didn't see him again.

2 comments:

Kyle said...

What a jerk.

Papa John said...

If I've learned anything in my 3x years on this planet, it's never trust a guy named Aloysius. Thanks for confirming this lesson. JFH