Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Get out there and vote!

I voted this morning first thing. I went with my friend who lives in the same town as I do. She picked me up just before 7 am. We got to the polling place and found a parking spot (or rather made a parking spot like many other people had done). It was clear that it was going to be crowded. But that made me even prouder to be in America! We waited for about 1/2 hour. And we were lucky because our line (for our section of the alphabet) was short - in fact it was the shortest line there. I walked over to the booth with my ballot. Closed the very patriotic screen (if you've seen the photo of the guy in Cambridge, MA walking out of the booth - it's all over the internet, that's what our booths look like). And marked the scan-tron like boxes. Carefully checked everything. And deposited my ballot in the scan box. I've done my duty. So all of you out there... get out and vote. Especially since I know many of you live in places where it really counts!

Also, just a quick memory. I've voted in nearly every election since I was able to vote, even many of the small elections. I've voted in many ways. I've used an electronic machine (in a polling location where there were only 4 machines), I've voted in a "hanging chad" type of booth where you can vote the party line by pulling a lever, I've voted in a mail in election (but I had to drop off my ballot because I missed the post marked by date), and I've voted on paper, like I did today. It's interesting to me how many ways there are to vote! But I'm glad we get to.

1 comment:

Kyle said...

Hmm...I've voted with a mechanical lever when I lived with my parents...thereafter it's been electronic voting only. You've tried all the styles!