Friday, November 14, 2008

Curious

I just read (in some random bit of junk mail, while I was eating dinner) that Christmas cacti give off oxygen at night - unlike other plants that give off oxygen during the day. This is very curious indeed. And perhaps I am not deserving of the title - scientist (which by they way they don't like you to say at the boarder when crossing back into the US from Canada, even if you are flashing a US passport, they want to know what kind of scientist and what you study). My understanding is that plants take in carbon dioxide and emit oxygen during photosynthesis. They do this only during the day because it requires sunlight. Chlorophyll needs light to do its thing - and that thing is the first step in the process. I can't remember the details, but I know it's the first step and I think it has to do with ATP. I suppose there could be a delay between steps... does any one know?

Otherwise, today, make that this week, was very long. I am working on a big project that might mean some money to pay my students so they don't have to teach (forever). I rewarded myself with nachos for dinner and I am going to have some coffee frozen yogurt - maybe even with some caramel sauce ooooh and maybe chocolate sauce, too for dessert. Yum! Then I'm going to watch Grey's Anatomy that was on in the middle of the night last night due to football. This sounds lovely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try Christmas Cactus Photosynthesis on google for the answer
Grum's Son