Saturday, October 11, 2008

The bear in the room...

So, I lost a bunch of money this week. I was convinced by a financial planner that I should invest some of the money I was saving for a down payment - and in a fairly aggressive manner. Basically everything I saved this summer is gone - and perhaps more. Bummer. But instead of dwelling, I'd like to tell you what's on my list of things I'd like to have in my new place.
  • E/S facing window(s) in my bedroom
  • Lots of light (for the plants of course)
  • A garage
  • A nice kitchen (room for 5 or more people to move around comfortably, a large oven - currently only small cookie sheets fit in my oven, nice counter tops, enough storage space)
  • Open floor plan
  • 2 bedrooms
  • I'd love a least a bath and a half, but it's not necessary
  • I waver back and forth between wanting to be in the center of things (at least walking distance to city/town) or wanted to be in the middle of nowhere. The quiet is appealing, but I would love to be near the action.
I have some pretty specific ideas and have contemplated trying to build something. I think if I went that direction, it might take me longer to become a home owner. Though there is a beautiful piece of land for sale nearby with water views, and it is significantly reduced, it would still take me a long time to be able to afford.

In the meanwhile, I'm enjoying watching HGTV and gathering ideas.

No comments: