Sunday, October 12, 2008

What are these?

Having finished 70% of a science related task I've been putting off for months just now, I thought I'd update everyone as to what I did this weekend. Yesterday I went to the local farmers market. There, I saw this lovely, red tree. It is clearly fall here. The leaves are beautiful. The sky is blue. And we are being treated to natures beauty because we all know what comes next. (In case you don't, the answer is feet of snow.)

The farmers market had lots of apples (including kinds I've never heard of before like Baldwins) and squash (in all varieties including butternut, acorn and delicata). All those great hearty things. In addition, several farmers had something that I only just tried last year. Do you know what these are?
I'll tell you later in the week. They are not tomatilio. Too small for that. I will also tell you that they taste like a cross between a tomato and pineapple. Strange indeed. But delicious in a salad. I will have fresh greens, these beauties, a chocolate pepper and a lemon cucumber in a salad for dinner. Nothing like foods that sound/look like they should be something different than they are.

In addition to delicious food, the farmers market also has local artisans. My favorite potter was there yesterday. Erin does beautiful work. I have a mug (minus a handle) that I drink my tea out of every day. She uses really vibrant colors and mixes them so a different color is on the inside from what shows on the outside. My mug is lime on the inside and a periwinkle color on the outside. The mug is formed from a ball of clay, so it fits neatly in my hand with it's lovely indentations where it was molded into a cup shape. I also have a wonderful, large serving bowl in colors similar to those of another cup I have. See below. I call them my inside out cups.

No comments: