Saturday, October 18, 2008

Running Loudly

So, during the race I ran a few weeks ago, my friend said to me that I run quietly. We were running at my "couch pace," so my effort was not great. This friend defined "couch pace" as that pace where you are most comfortable. I sometimes wonder how far I could run at my "couch pace." Could I be an ultra-marathon runner? Maybe. But the point here is that he said I run quietly. I didn't really know what my friend meant by that, so he told me that my foot strikes hardly made any noise. I didn't notice that- what sound his were making or that mine were soft - but it was an interesting observation. (I think it helps that he's a scientist.) I didn't really think about this again until I was at the gym this week running on a treadmill (I know, I know, this is a waste of energy, especially when there is perfectly good road out there, but the road would have been very dark, and somewhat dangerous.). The person nearby was really super loud when he was running. I couldn't quite tell if that was just how he always ran or if it was that he was doing speed work and therefore might be a bit louder than normal. Oh, and speaking of treadmill running... I sometimes wonder why people will choose the treadmill right next to you even if there are about 10 vacant treadmills down the line? I always try to observe the every other rule unless there's a lot of people and this is not possible. Fortunately at my new gym, there is almost always room for an every other motif - unlike the gym I used to go to where I'd often have to wait in line for a treadmill.

1 comment:

Papa John said...

Not only are there loud runners (which I have observed) there are also loud walkers. Even inside, some people can seem to help themselves from tromping around. I pride myself on being a quiet walker.
JFH