Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Childhood Memory

On Monday night, I was flipping through the channels looking for something mindless to watch. I ended up on Jon and Kate plus 8. It was a Valentine's Day episode. I'm not a huge fan - I much prefer the holiday this week - Halloween. In fact, it's pretty clear that some of my neighbors agree. I need to go take a picture of this house that is totally decked out. I'll try to post it tomorrow. So you are wondering why I mentioned this. Well, Kate had set up a scavenger hunt for the kids to find their gift (with clues that took them throughout the house). We used to do that as kids - my sister and I. But our hunt was for Easter. The Easter bunny would always leave clues for us and at the end was our candy filled Easter basket. We always had real baskets. None of this plastic stuff from the grocery store; though there was a time in my life I was jealous of that "junk," I'm now really glad we had real baskets. They had ribbons woven through the holes of the basket and were just overall pretty cool. But I think the best thing about Easter was the scavenger hunt. Definitely a tradition that I remember very well - and not just because there are photos of it, but because it made a lasting impression. I was glad to see that the kids on the show also thought it was pretty darn cool, too. I highly recommend this as a fun way to give a gift.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unlike "Myth Busters" please try this at home - tips - write all locations first (different rooms is best, if a 2 story alternate up and down); all locations should be large enough to hold the prize; place the prize first and work backwards - 7-8 locations works best

Kyle said...

My mom started an "Easter egg hunt" for my best friend and I...but it was picking up trash in our yard! My parents house is on a busy road so quite a lot of trash is thrown onto their lawn. The reward was a quarter. I thought it was fantastic but my best friend thought it was a drag. To this day, I still enjoy picking up trash around where I live. I'll probably write a blog post about it sometime soon.